Systems Engineer at WordPress VIP
WordPress VIP is the digital platform of choice for the world’s top brands and publishers. Our expertise running performant, secure, and stable applications at scale enables our clients to power high-touch digital experiences with ease. Our platform combines the unparalleled WordPress user experience with enterprise-grade infrastructure and world-class support, serving billions of web requests per day. As one of the most used and ubiquitous software platforms on Earth, security and reliability are critical.
We’re looking for Systems Engineers to join our fully remote team, where you’ll play an essential role in developing, building, and maintaining our growing global infrastructure. If you enjoy solving complex problems and are eager to empower development teams working at some of the most high-profile, high-traffic sites out there, come and join us.
We’d love to chat with you if you have:
- Experience with implementing and supporting Kubernetes-based infrastructure.
- Experience working on a large-scale system to make it performant, highly scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Experience in Linux systems administration and a deep understanding of how web-related services (load balancers, high availability solutions, web servers, databases, caching daemons, etc.) work.
- Proficiency in information systems concepts, system administration, and cloud platforms.
- Proficiency with some or all of: NGINX, Docker, PHP, Golang, LUA, MySQL, ELK.
- Working knowledge of network technologies such as: TCP/IP stack, IPv6, DNS, Anycast, firewalls (iptables), and TLS.
- A passion for open source software.
- A willingness to learn!
Bonus points if you can guess what each dot represents on the map below and tell us the methodology you used to figure it out.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Code Wranglers
Brandon, Jeremy, Mark, Jennifer, Roy and Kat at https://youtu.be/jyhYkuuzL_0
! These are exciting times at WordPress VIP and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our platform. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
If you have some time and want to learn more about how we do things, watch this ScaleConf video.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with us for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe. Note: All company travel is currently suspended due to COVID-19.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations up front about what to expect from our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in [automattic-country-count] countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Apply for this position