There’s a person we want to work with.
Thing is, we're not talking about someone specific. In fact, that’s the problem. We’re talking about a set of traits and an attitude, which is scarce! We want developers who see things differently; that don't conform to the norm. You’re ready to get the job done, and even surprise us.
There are so many lousy job descriptions for developers in the world, we’re writing down what we’re looking for in hopes that this person (you?) is out there:
- You understand that communication is the biggest responsibility of your job, and the one you’re least likely to get right unless you focus on it
- When you take on a task whether it’s huge and scary or tiny and boring, you’re going to see it through to the best of your ability
- You focus on building and shipping quality software that matters to your users and that matters to the company you’re building it for
- You are confident with a number of programming languages, operating systems and architectures. You probably have one of each you prefer right now, but you’re neither dogmatic nor myopic in your focus on it
TaxJar’s remote-only team of 180+ people is growing quickly. We have an immediate opening for an engineer who wants to join us and help make eCommerce easier for everyone. Our core values:
- We know that we're better together
- We are always learning and growing
- We shape our own destiny
- We build relationships that matter
- Take an active role in breaking large projects down into deliverable pieces
- Maintain clear and accurate documentation
- Consider the performance impacts of your technical choices
- Participate in architectural decisions and refactors
- Review and test your teammates’ pull requests
- Contribute to and maintain our existing Rspec test suites
- Maintain and update our core SaaS business logic
- 3+ years experience with Ruby on Rails and a test framework such as RSpec
- 3+ years of experience with backend database skills
- Ability to own development tasks from assignment through to production
- Agile, humble, trustworthy, and a team player
- Rapid learner who thrives in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Passion for building simple and intuitive solutions for complex problems in e-commerce
- Prior SaaS development, API development or similar app dev experience a plus
- Excellent remote communication (chat, video, email, etc)
At TaxJar, we believe a diverse team creates better solutions for our customers. Read our Diversity statement below:
TaxJar is a human-first company.
People are accepted and free to be who they are.
We embrace that diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are essential sources of creativity and innovation that bring a richness of thinking and experience to the work that is celebrated at TaxJar. Simply put, we care. We will always put people - our team and our customers - first, by supporting our people to do their best work building products our customers love.
Our formula is simple. We believe we have an elevated level of responsibility in everything we do. This means we empower our team to do the right thing for each other and for our customers, and we do the right thing, even when it's harder. We’ve built a team based on trust, that endeavors to maximize our team members’ individual talents so our workplace creates a sense of meaning and belonging for everyone.
TaxJar’s 2020 Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging report here.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Apply for this position