Senior Software Engineer, WooCommerce (Email Marketing)
WooCommerce is an open-source commerce platform built on top of WordPress. We believe in democratizing commerce, and making it available to as many people, in as many ways as possible. WooCommerce enables anyone to set up a physical or digital store, to sell products or subscriptions, to sell their time, or just about anything else, pretty much anywhere on earth. As an open platform, we empower an entire ecosystem of developers and builders to provide custom solutions for things we can’t even dream of. Email marketing is one of the best ways to grow a store, and we have several exciting products and services in this area.
What Have We Worked on Recently?
- MailPoet enables WooCommerce stores and WordPress sites to build and run email marketing campaigns without leaving their WordPress Admin. MailPoet also provides email delivery services using its own purpose-built email delivery infrastructure.
- WooCommerce Core is the most popular commerce solution, built for WordPress. It’s the foundation for everything else we do.
- To view more of our recent work, check out our longer product list on Automattic.com.
Enough About Us, Let’s Talk More About You. As An Email Marketing Engineer You:
Have experience or interest in building email marketing campaigns or email marketing tooling.
Are comfortable working both on the frontend and backend.
Write clear and understandable code.
Have experience with test automation at all levels of the test pyramid, and design testable systems.
Have demonstrated experience and interest in systems architecture, are knowledgeable about design patterns.
Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
Have experience working on large-scale systems. Making them faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Experience with large scale email delivery operations and systems.
- Experience fighting spam.
- WordPress programming experience.
- Open source contributions.
- Contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
- Experience collecting and using data to help inform product decisions.
- Good user experience instincts and product design opinions.
Speaking of Interests and Skills, Here Are Some Areas in Which You Can Grow and Have Further Impact in the Future at the Company
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
How Do We Work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, releasing shipped software weekly, with the help of peer code reviews, strong test automation, continuous integration, manual and automated QA, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
These are exciting times at Automattic and WooCommerce. You’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
- We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, Simplenote, Longreads, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
- We’re a distributed company with more than 1300 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
- We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Code Wranglers – Brandon, Jeremy, Mark, Jennifer, Roy and Kat!
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations upfront about our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring.
Please note that we are paying extra attention to your answers to the questions in the application form. They are a significant part of the hiring process, and we will review them just like we would review any other step of the hiring process. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in [automattic-country-count] countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Apply for this position