Senior Software Engineer, Experimentation Platform
Automattic’s experimentation platform squad (ExPlat) is looking for a self-directed software engineer to help take ExPlat to the next level. You will partner with our resident engineers and data scientists to maintain and improve a rock-solid platform for running and analyzing experiments, ranging from simple A/B tests to more exotic approaches.
You can learn more about the project by reading our recent data.blog posts and checking out Abacus, ExPlat’s open-source UI.
What You’ll Do:
- Contribute well-tested code across the ExPlat stack, from the Python/SQL/Scala data processing pipelines, through the PHP/WordPress production back-end, to the TypeScript/React UI and assignment clients.
- Help with architecture and product decisions within ExPlat.
- Support internal users through experiment and code reviews.
- Integrate into a multi-functional team of software engineers, data scientists, and data engineers.
Who You Are:
- You have production experience building backend applications with a variety of languages, frameworks, and systems.
- You understand backend challenges around scalability, caching, database load management, and API design.
- You are familiar with multiple programming languages and paradigms including functional programming.
- You have experience working with some of PHP (or other backend languages), Typescript/React, Python.
- You are experienced with test automation at all levels of the test pyramid.
- You are knowledgeable about design patterns, testability, and maintainability.
- You care about simplicity, code quality, and best practices, and appreciate a robust code review processes.
- You are hard-working, humble, and have an equal willingness to learn and teach.
- You have strong interpersonal skills with experience working autonomously in a diverse, multi-functional team.
- You have experience running A/B tests.
- You have WordPress programming experience.
- You have experience working with data and visualization.
- You have experience/a solid understanding of probability and statistics or machine learning.
- You have experience with functional programming languages.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in [automattic-country-count] countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Apply for this position